Day 73 Visitation

Today is Saturday.  Today, I had the privilege of seeing my son, Matt, and hugging him (more than once).

Today, Paul and I started at 8:00 am trying to get through security prior to seeing Matt.  After filling out forms and making sure ID’s, ones and fives adding up to less than $20 and our car key was placed in a plastic bag, we were directed to walk through the metal detector.

As usual, I did not pass.  I always set off metal detectors.  Maybe it’s my magnetic personality.  The two guards looked at me and asked me to remove my glasses.  Nope, didn’t work.  Now they asked me to remove the metal buttons on the pockets of my jeans.  You mean I had to rip my buttons off?

“If you don’t get rid of the metal, you can’t go through,” one guard informed me.

Okay.  I have to admit I was getting upset thinking I would not be able to see my son.  I stood out in the parking lot and had a bit of a 2 year old style tantrum.

Paul, who is infinitely more calm about these things, suggested I change my jeans and anything else that might have metal.  So, I pulled my other pants out of the laundry which in no way matched what I was wearing and yes, I ditched the bra.

So, bra-less and wearing pants that should have gone into the wash, I tossed my glasses in a plastic container as well as my shoes and I strode through that damn detector daring it to make one little beep.  I am the kid’s mother and no way was one stinking metal detector and two guards going to keep me from seeing my kid.

As, you guessed, I made it through no beeps.  Even the guards breathed a sigh of relief.  Do you think they could tell by the look in my eyes that things would not go well for anyone if I did not get to go through?

Matt looks great!  He has a tan.  He is dressed in Khakis and as Adrian Humphrey’s once commented on Matt’s smile as being large and goofy…there it was lighting up his whole face.

Six hours.  We got to spend six hours and some folks there suggested we get games because one runs out of things to say after an hour.  But, as you might imagine, the DeHarts did not run out of things to say.  It is the only time we can talk without being monitored.  Trust me, we had much to say.

Thank you to all of those who wanted to send wishes and hugs; they were delivered..:)





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.